Employment Related Taxes

banners hanging on lightpoles around campus

Following are convenient links regarding tax issues and procedures that may be of interest to University of Minnesota staff and faculty. The Tax Management Office is a consulting group that supports U departments with business tax needs. We are not able to help individuals with individual tax questions.

Office of Human Resources

The University of Minnesota Office of Human Resources provides payroll information about compensation and taxes for University employees both on their website and within MyU on the My Pay tab.

Accountable Plan

The University of Minnesota has an accountable plan for employee reimbursements. An accountable plan is where reimbursements and/or other expense allowance arrangements must meet certain IRS requirements related to business-connection and substantiation, and requires that amounts in excess of substantiated expenses be returned in a timely manner. Amounts paid under an accountable plan are excluded from the individual's income. Reimbursements made that do not meet the requirements of the accountable plan are taxable. A statement regarding your employer's accountable plan is available, should the IRS ask you for such a statement.

Employee Recognition Awards

What are the tax implications of providing and receiving employee recognition awards? The links below provide guidance on the taxability of various items, including cash, gift cards, and tangible personal property. If taxable awards are made to employees, the awarding department should contact Payroll for proper reporting procedures.

Employee Retirement Savings Plans

The University of Minnesota contributes to a variety of retirement plans that provide benefits for the various employee groups (including faculty) at the University. The University Tax Management Office works with the Office of Human Resources - Employee Benefits, to ensure that the University is complying with federal tax requirements relating to retirement plans. For information on your retirement accounts, visit the Office of Human Resources' page on retirement savings plans.

Taxation of Relocation Expenses

Effective January 1, 2018, relocation expenses are subject to income tax. See the Relocating Employees policy for information about taxable relocation allowances.

Additional Contacts

Employees or former employees with questions regarding W-2s or 1099-Rs should call the Office of Human Resources Call Center at 612-624-8647 or email ohr@umn.edu.

Employees or former employees with questions on benefits should call Employee Benefits at 612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363, or email benefits@umn.edu.

Individuals with questions on 1099-MISC should call the Financial Helpline at 612-624-1617 or contact the Controller's Office at controller@umn.edu.

See the office of Human Resources Pay and Taxes page for W-2 and W-4 information.