Skip to Main Content

Tax Management at the U

The University Tax Management Office is a consulting office that supports University departments with their business tax needs.

In accordance with IRS regulations, The University Tax Management Office does not provide personal tax advice. To determine any issues with your personal taxes, please contact a personal tax advisor or the IRS. You can also check out the Students and Parents information page for some helpful resources.

The University of Minnesota's current W-9 & ST3 (Certificate of Exemption)

If you receive a request for a SUBSTITUTE W-9 form (not the standard IRS form above) please call or email the Tax Management Office for assistance in completing the form: 612-624-1053 or

Purchasing in Other States

Do you travel to other states to make purchases for the University of Minnesota? If so, you should check out the University's tax status in your destination state - we may be exempt from paying sales taxes on those purchases. View this information about making purchases in other states.

About the Tax Management Office


Kelly Farmer


Parent Unit

University Finance

Financial Units Org Chart (pdf)

U Report UReport provides a way for University community members to report violations of rules, regulations and policies. The report can be made anonymously.

Department Contact Information

University Tax Management

2221 University Ave SE, Suite 100

Minneapolis, MN 55414

P: 612-624-1053, F: 612-626-1886

Directions & Parking Information

Tax Managment Staff

TMO Organizational Chart (pdf)