The University of Minnesota Tax Management Office is a consulting group that supports University (U) departments with their business tax needs. Our mission includes:
- Managing tax compliance for the U;
- Responding to U community tax questions, conducting tax research as necessary, and advising regarding tax planning options and consequences;
- Issuing Tax Management Office Guidelines (TMOGs) to assist departments in understanding and complying with tax laws;
- Contributing to policy, procedure, and reporting system development to incorporate and automate tax requirements;
- Serving as the U’s primary liaison with federal and state tax authorities;
- Following federal and state tax legislative initiatives, identifying the impact of proposals on the U, and communicating tax law changes;
- Outreach to the U community and other higher ed institutions locally, statewide, and nationally.