two people examining a paper

Students and Parents

The University Tax Management Office is a consulting office that supports University departments with their business tax needs and cannot give advice in personal tax matters. See the following links for additional resources.

Form 1098-T

Do you have Questions on 1098-T forms? Read this FAQ or contact your campus One Stop directly at the contact listed below.

Educational Tax Benefits

Additional helpful information can be found under "Educational Tax Benefits".

Scholarship and Fellowship Questions

For resources on how to handle your scholarship/fellowship information, please see the IRS Publication 970. Also, check out Information on Taxation of University of Minnesota Non-Compensatory Fellowship Stipends.

Tax Preparation

VTAP, The Volunteer Tax Assistance Program is IRS certified, consists of volunteer students that prepare and review tax returns for no cost to students and community members with unadjusted gross incomes less than $54,000. Contact VTAP at or

Nonresident aliens may visit the International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) website for tax information. International students may wish to review information provided by Payroll Services and the Internal Revenue Service foreign students and scholars web page.

The Minnesota Department of Revenue has free tax preparation resources available that may help you meet your tax filing needs.

1098-T Assistance & Contact Information

Missing a 1098-T, was it lost/destroyed, incorrect name, name change needed, incorrect address, address change needed, or have a question about the reported dollar amount? If your question is not answered on our Frequently Asked Questions page, please contact the team for your campus:


Twin Cities: 612-624-1111 or 1-800-400-8636 or email: or website:
Crookston: Business Office 218-281-8331 or email:
Duluth: 218-726-8000 or email: or website:
Morris: 320-589-6046 or 1-800-992-8863 or email: or website:
Rochester: 507-258-8069 or email: or website:


The University of Minnesota is unable to provide you with individual tax advice. If you have questions, please seek the counsel of an informed tax preparer or financial advisor.