University of Minnesota
Tax Management Office

Unit's name.

Tax Management Office Mission

The University of Minnesota Tax Management Office is a consulting group that supports University (U) departments with their business tax needs. Our mission includes:

  • Managing tax compliance for the U;
  • Responding to U community tax questions, conducting tax research as necessary, and advising regarding tax planning options and consequences;
  • Issuing Tax Management Office Guidelines (TMOGs) to assist departments in understanding and complying with tax laws;
  • Contributing to policy, procedure, and reporting system development to incorporate and automate tax requirements;
  • Serving as the U’s primary liaison with federal and state tax authorities;
  • Following federal and state tax legislative initiatives, identifying the impact of proposals on the U, and communicating tax law changes;
  • Actively participating in national and Minnesota higher education institution tax groups as well as leading training sessions for tax professionals.

Questions on 1098-T's

Do you have Questions on 1098-T forms? One Stop Student Services handles these forms. Read this FAQ or contact your campus One Stop directly:

Twin Cities: 612-624-1111 or 1-800-400-8636 or email: or website:
Crookston: 218-281-8569 or 1-800-UMC-MINN or website:
Duluth: 218-726-8000 or email: or website:
Morris: 320-589-6046 or 1-800-992-8863 or email: or website:
Rochester: 507-258-8069 or email: or website:

Additional helpful information can be found under "Educational Tax Benefits" at left.

Tax Preparation

Resources for tax preparation can be found at The Volunteer Tax Assistance Program (VTAP), 612-625-9992, where they prepare tax returns free of charge for University of Minnesota students as well as community members with unadjusted gross incomes less than $57,000.

Non-resident aliens, please contact International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS), 612-626-7100, for assistance.

The University Tax Management Office is a consulting office that supports University departments with their business tax needs and cannot assist or give advise in personal tax matters. 

Form 1099 & W-2 Questions

Are you wondering about W-2's or 1099 Forms? They are mailed on or before January 31st by the Payroll Department. Duplicate W-2 forms can be ordered at Employee Self Serve. Find more information on Payroll's Pay & Taxes website.

For questions on 1099-Misc Forms received FROM the University, please contact the University Financial Helpline at 612-624-1617 or

Questions on Form 1099-R received FROM the University should be directed to the Human Resource Management System at 4-UOHR or 612-624-8647,

Scholarship & Fellowship Questions

For resources on how to handle your scholarship/fellowship information, please see the IRS Publication 970. Also, check out Information on Taxation of University of Minnesota Non-Compensatory Fellowship Stipends.

In the News

University Departments:

Use these links to download the ST-3, Minnesota Revenue Certificate of Exemption, and Form W-9, IRS Request for Taxpayer Identification and Certification. Please complete as indicated.

If you receive a request for a SUBSTITUTE W-9 form (not the standard IRS form above) please call or email the Tax Management Office for assistance in completing the form.


Sales Tax

Do you travel to other states to make purchases for the U of MN? If so, you should check out the University's tax status in your destination state - we may be exempt from paying sales taxes on those purchases. Visit our page on "Making Purchases in Other States."


Thank you for visiting the University Tax Management Office website. If you notice any broken links or errors, please let us know.


Tax Management Office
2221 University Ave, SE, Suite 100
Minneapolis, MN 55414
Main Office: 612-624-1053
Fax: 612-626-1886


Federal Tax ID #41-6007513